Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Changez

Changez is a very interesting character that constantly reveals new things about himself. It has become obvious that unspoken communication means more to Changez then conversing. Body language and eye contact seems to be the most powerful. Changez is also very open to learning about different cultures and lifestyles. I like how he compares Pakistani culture with American culture and finds subtle similarities. He understands that there are people very different from him, but that it is a good thing. Changez is very polite, and he makes a lasting impression on the people he meets. Jim even mentions that Changez is very polite. I love reading this book because I feel like I can hear Changez telling his story. He is so wise and has so much to shard with the people he meets, but he never comes off as arrogant. He really gives the reader insight into Pakistani culture. I personally don't know much about Pakistan, outside of the news, so it is very interesting to read about the cultural similarities with the US.

5 comments:

  1. I completely know what you mean when you say communication is more than conversing. Changez always refers to the way someone is looking at him or the way they're sitting. It's interesting how he can see beneath what's on the surface. I know people always say appearance shouldn't matter, but I feel like on some level, it has to mean something. I really enjoyed the part in the book where he was in Greece and he met Erica. She was so intriguing to him and he wouldn't exploit her in anyway. I think that shows a lot about his character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a very good point, Julie. I think one of the most interesting things about Changez is how much he is able to figure out about someone by just looking at them, yet he doesn't judge them. In the parts of the book where he's having tea with the stranger, he can figure so much about how the person is feeling by their body language, and the way they are acting. They say not to judge a book by it's cover, but Changez shows that to some extent, you can. His analysis of actions that are probably mostly subconscious makes you realize things you wouldn't usually, and it makes the book even more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree Maya. I think it is really inspirational how Changez can admit its okay to judge on appearances but at the same time still get to know people. It is amazing how well Changez seems to be able to read the American he is having tea with. I like that he takes break from his story to engage directly with the American because it makes you remember where Changez is. It also allows Changez to share more about Lahore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that sharing about Lahore is the way the author lets us know about Changez. Changez tells us about all of the other characters, but without Changez's recolletions of his city and self, we wouldn't be able to know about him. I wonder if Changez's "talking about himself" is what others see as cocky?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michaela, To me, Changez's "talking about himself" is not cocky but a good way of expressing himself. The mysterious American came to Lahore to learn Changez's story and if he didn't occasionally discuss his life and personality then the American, and we as the readers, would be unable to relate to him. I also agree with you when you say that Lahore is a dicussion topic in the book, that helps us learn about Changez. When I read about Changez's family and their loss of wealth and power in Lahore, I felt like I understood a lot more about Changez and his ambitions.

    ReplyDelete